Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Phoenix Jones: The real life Kick-Ass

Meet Phoenix Jones. The real life Kick-Ass. Maybe even Batman...Only without the gadgets. The Punisher even.

Superman, Batman, Spiderman. Names that everybody knows as superheroes in comics, TV and films. But the name Phoenix Jones will have people scratching their heads. In something that has caught the attention a superhero fan, Phoenix Jones has done what many 'fanboys' have imagined at some point in their lives, and become a real life superhero. And this is no joke either. See for yourselves:

If anyone has ever seen the movie Kick-Ass, then you have some idea of what it would be like to have an actual superhero, or in this case, a guy walking around in a costume with a bullet proof vest, taser, and mace. And funnily enough, that's what we've come to see on the streets of Washington in the US. And he's not alone either. Leading a ten man strong group of vigilantes calling themselves the Rain City Superhero Movement, Phoenix Jones and his clan are living out what has only been in comic books and films.

As a self confessed nerd, I actually find this pretty cool. Like a part of my fantasy world has come true. I know it's a bit sad maybe. They may not have powers like in comics. And they're not exactly 'superheroes' in the classic term, but I love how a few random people have become creative, and brave enough, to go out and do what can only be imagined. I guess it was only a matter of time before someone thought of this and tried to emulate a superhero.

Batman did the exact same thing. And so did Kick-ass. I know they're characters in a book and come from a ficticious world, but they are probably the best examples to use that can be compared to a realistic setting.

I'm not saying that I'm going to go out in spandex and start rescuing people in the streets and fight villains, but my point is that both the nerd and the child in me doesn't find it as silly as others would. Not because I want to do the same, but because I find it cool and can say to people there's actually heroes, or 'superheroes' that exist. I know theres people reading this who think that I'm rambling, and sounding like a loser who needs to grow up. But hey...I am a nerd after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment